Date:      Mon, 16 Jul 2007 10:11:14 +0200
From:      "Heiko Wundram (Beenic)" <wundram@beenic.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Transparent email proxy

On Monday 16 July 2007 09:05:56 Daniel Marsh wrote:
> I've never come across anyone using TLS+SMTP, in most cases I've found th=
at
> SMTP is accepted as insecure (esp. over the Internet). If we were talking
> intra-company SMTP over the Internet, different story altogether due to t=
he
> company needing privacy.

Ahemm... That depends largely on the audience you're administering for...

I personally have seen that many large (german) (free-)email providers are=
=20
trying to force SMTP through TLS for sending out email through their server=
s=20
at the moment, simply because they don't want passwords for logging in to=20
their service transferred as plaintext (and thereby sniffable by the=20
provider/network you're using). It's not so much about the mail (content)=20
itself, it's more about the authentication that's required to relay.

=2D-=20
Heiko Wundram
Product & Application Development
=2D------------------------------------