Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2001 22:47:03 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Chris Sears <cbsears@ix.netcom.com>
Cc:        Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ecc kld for FreeBSD 4.2

> THANKS! and compliments on your name.  It was a quick and simple port
> to see if people were interested. I've sent it to the author/maintainer
> Dan Hollis but I haven't gotten a response yet.  He has an email list
> on Yahoo/Groups and there is occasional traffic so it isn't dead code.
>
> Yes, I did notice that there was no licensing.  I will broach that with him.
> I can live with GPL since I see this as being a KLD which can be installed
> from source.  But I prefer BSD.
>
> DEV_MODULE vs DRIVER_MODULE.  It is true that DEV_MODULE is much less common
> but it is minimally sufficient.  If it were a DRIVER_MODULE, then it would
> just be allocating a bunch of structures and entry points and noop'ing
> them out.  But perhaps someone else could lend an opinion.

I'm fixing this so that it doesn't use the 2.x PCI compatibility
interface; there's a lot of other real ugliness in here, some of which is
probably worth throwing out.

The lack of an NMI handler is actually really poor, but fortunately, easy
to deal with.

There's a decision to be made here with regards to this code.

If it's OK to relicense it under the BSDL, it should be integrated with
the i386 hostbridge code (ie. not a KLD at all).  If we do that, tracking
the Linux module is going to be a little bit more work (but not a lot).

If it's not OK, then it'll need to be maintained separately (or
rewritten, which wouldn't be too hard).

At any rate, I'll contact you once I've fixed the attachment code; it's
pretty simple.  You might also want to talk to Paul Saab (ps@freebsd.org)
who has ECC code for FreeBSD already, including some NMI support.