Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2000 17:48:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      kris@freebsd.org
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   kern/21463: Linux compatability mode should not allow setuid programs

>Number:         21463
>Category:       kern
>Synopsis:       Linux compatability mode should not allow setuid programs
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
Linux compat mode should disallow the execution of setugid applications
by default, to protect us against linux userland vulnerabilities as well
as subtle interactions between the kernel privilege model in Linux and
FreeBSD which may introduce security problems of its own (e.g. allowing
a linux binary to do things which a freebsd native binary compiled from
the same code cannot do)

We don't have any setugid binaries installed from the linux_base and
linux_devtools ports so this won't affect the default system. I suggest
a sysctl, defaulting to off, which controls whether or not emulated
binaries can run with privileges.

This is also an issue with other binary compatability systems like SVR4
and should also be fixed there too.