Date:      Thu, 17 Aug 1995 04:31:12 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        marquard@austin.ibm.com (Dave Marquardt)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problems with matcd0 on Packard Bell Force 442CDT on 2.0.5

Dave Marquardt stands accused of saying:
> 	Sound144 card, which includes
> 		14.4K fax/data modem
> 		SoundBlaster compatible sound functions
> 		MPU401 MIDI port
> 		Game port
> 		Panasonic/Matsushita CR-563 CD-ROM interface
> 	2X CD-ROM drive
>
> I'm running FreeBSD 2.0.5, and I've managed to get everything to work
> EXCEPT the CD-ROM drive.  I've configured matcd0 with the default line
> from the LINT config file, and the probe code doesn't see the CD-ROM.
> I tried looking at how things are configured on the DOS/Windows side,
> and I did find that the CD-ROM port was 0x340.  I don't know if this
> is the port the Sound144 card uses to talk to the CD-ROM somehow, or
> if it's the port the system needs to use.  0x340 is way different from
> what I see in the port_hints[] array in
> /usr/src/sys/i386/isa/matcd/options.h, so I wonder if 0x340 is really
> what I want.

After corresponding with the author of the matcd driver, I understand that
the version of the driver in 2.0.5R is only suitable for use with
genuine SB16 adapters.  Newer versions of the driver support other
cards (like yours)

>From first impressions, it appears that the driver is a straight-forward
drop-in.

> Dave Marquardt

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[