Date:      Fri, 10 Jan 1997 10:22:34 +0100 (MET)
From:      Thomas Gellekum <thomas@ghpc8.ihf.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        thomas@ghpc8.ihf.rwth-aachen.de, max@wide.ad.jp, rhwang@bigpanda.com, mi@aldan.ziplink.net, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tiff 3.4 port, please test

Satoshi Asami wrote:
>  * I just said `fax' because I think Julian Stacy mentioned that it
>  * wouldn't work with 3.4.
>
> I also heard from him that the new version of hylafax requires
> tiff-3.4.  So I guess there goes our compatibility story.

Probably I was wrong with hylafax, but I'm sure there was a very short
discussion about the non-compatibility of tiff-3.3 vs 3.4. xv needs a
patch to use 3.4, which shows that the problem is real, though.

>  * (tiff):
>  * hylafax-3.0.1		3.4 only? would be easy
>  * ImageMagick-3.7.9	easy
>  * gimp-0.54.1
>  * gimp-devel-96.10.01
>  * mpegedit-2.2
>  * netpbm-94.3.1
>  * tgif-3.0.9
>  * xpaint-2.4.6		2.4.7 is out
>  * xv-3.10a		easy
>  *
>  * (ghostscript):
>  * ghostscript-2.6.2
>  * ghostscript-3.53
>  * ghostscript-4.03

I forgot the japanese and vietnamese gs...

> Cool.  Are we going to test these all?  I personally only use gs4....

Move this discussion to -ports and let the maintainers take care of
the juicy details? ;-)

Is there any possibility to tell our linker to use a specific major
version of a library?

tg