Date:      Mon, 15 May 2006 10:10:02 +0400
From:      "Yuriy Tsibizov" <Yuriy.Tsibizov@gfk.ru>
To:        "Dmitry Pryanishnikov" <dmitry@atlantis.dp.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: USB audio adapters (snd_uaudio): what to buy and what not?

> I'm going to buy an USB audio adapter supported by=20
> FreeBSD's snd_uaudio
> driver. My needs are general: to play/record stereo audio (no need in
> additional channels), line output is a must, headphone output=20
> is a plus ;)
> What models can you recommend to buy and what - to avoid=20
> buying? snd_uaudio(4)
> only talks about "USB audio class devices" and doesn't=20
> mention specific
> models. I would like to hear about any (positive or negative)=20
> experience
> with these devices under CURRENT and/or RELENG_6 systems.
I have=20
http://www.defender.ru/products/elektronnye-ustroistva/adaptery-usb/10100=
/=20
(http://www.usbgear.com/usb-audio-adapter-5/index.html for English =
description)
that is made by unknown company and sold under several brands (just =
search for=20
"USB 5.1 AUDIO ADAPTER" or "AC1500 USB" in Google).

Positive side:=20
It works (stereo playback/recording only, 5.1 sound does not).=20
Cheap (around $17 in Moscow).=20
Has LEDs that blink when data is sent over USB bus.

Negative side:=20
You have to find correct recording volume, otherwise all you will get=20
is a cheap guitar overdrive - it seems that 100% rec gain is realy =
200-400% gain over=20
source level. If I set a mixer (Behringer MX) to -10db (level required =
by most=20
consumer equipment) and line volume at 100% I'm getting
distorted sound under any OS (both 7-CURRENT at home and XP at work).

I will not recommend it to anything serious.

Yuriy