Date:      Sat, 01 May 2004 12:32:39 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@realss.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "device card" no longer being used?

> Date: Sat, 01 May 2004 11:46:43 +0800
> From: Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@realss.com>
>
> Kevin Oberman wrote:
>
> >Don't panic!  (I couldn't find the "LargeFriendlyLetters" font.)
> >
> >For PCIC support on V5, you need to build an OLDCARD kernel. There is a
> >sample configuration for OLDCARD in /sys/i386/conf and it only entails
> >changing a few lines. Basically you remove cbb, pccard, and cardbus and
> >add pcic and card.
> >

> Thank you. Now pcic works fine, my NIC is recognized. But I come across
> an irq conflict. That's another story though.

Glad it worked for you. The only real problem is that you can't use
CardBus cards with OLDCARD, so you may want to install two kernels if
you think you might need to run a CardBus card. You can build the other
kernel with NO_MODULES, since they are unchanged. Then copy it into
/boot/kernel.cardbus and link all of the modules (*.ko) from
/boot/kernel.

It's a pain, but it does work as long as you don't need to mix PCIC and
CardBus cards.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)