Date:      Tue, 3 Oct 2000 12:56:35 -0500 (CDT)
From:      James Wyatt <jwyatt@rwsystems.net>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: politeness

On Tue, 3 Oct 2000, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> >>No, the list has a charter.  This is a republic, not a democracy.
> >
> >Does that mean that to get something posted to the list, I need to
> >contact my representative, who doesn't respond to me because
> >I'm not a member of his political party? Or has a staffer send me
> >back a boilerplate form letter and then does what his large
> >corporate contributors want? ;-)

Actually, I thought this was a pretty funny reply, having tried to contact
my reps before. Unfortunately, someone with an axe to grind replied. 8{(

> In your particular case:  If you want to avoid being banned and
> filtered: Yes, it means that.

I smell something rotten in Denmark. No first amendment there, I guess.

> In all my time in core, nobody even closely rivals your uncontested
> number one ranking as the person most people want banned & filtered
> from our lists.
>
> Depending on your luck, or lack of it, the core team may finally
> have had it with freedom, liberty and equality in your particular
> case, if you don't learn to control your emails style and quantity
> pretty damn fast.

More fascist control-speak? This sounds more and more like "I've been here
forever so I know better and everyone agrees with me, so we're about to
cut you off". Some of us have just been here for years, not "forever" and
don't believe Brett should die or be filtered on the mailing list. If you
feel he should be filtered, add him to your own filter, not ours. Does one
person speak for the core team? (Besides Jordan... 8{) Please tell me that
I'm over- or misinterpretting you Paul.

> Doesn't the fact that your are universally more unpopular than anybody
> else with the FreeBSD developers trigger any kind of thought process
> in you ?  Doesn't it make just a tiny little bit of doubt rear its
> ugly head, questioning your approach when you communicate on our lists?

He's popular, but some of his assertions aren't. (^_^) His posts sometimes
have folks like myself asking for real facts as to what's wrong, but some
folks just seem to go into orbit. The "Please die" message was truly a
prime example of such junk emitters. It added *nothing*, but let me know
more about the personality of the responder than I wanted to know. What
next, IP attacks on his machines? Pedophile references? Geez, folks...

I know some of the threads are long, but I blame the repliers as much as
Brett for that. Most seem to begin with serious problems or questions that
matter to us all. Sometimes more homework should be done beforehand, but
sometimes we should all take the last line of your .sig to heart. Go back
and read the original post - does it warrant all this tripe. (mine or others?

If folks *must* reply to this, can we all just sit on our hands for a
while afterward and go on to another thread some time? - Jy@

> --
	[ ... ]
James Wyatt               | Programming since the HP55/65 came out.
R/W Systems               | Human since birth. FreeBSD for a few years.