Date:      Fri, 21 Feb 1997 14:10:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
To:        dg@root.com, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new all-time traffic record on wcarchive

In lists.freebsd.chat you write:

>>>    Other miscellaneous info: The old record was 115GB and was set on August
>>> 10th, 1996. This new record of 142.8GB beats out the old one by nearly 25%.
>>
>>Does the setting of this record happen to correspond to crl fixing some
>>of its links (I refer to a short discussion ~week ago), or was it the
>>release of FreeBSD 2.1.7, or was it...???

>   Well, CRL really doesn't have anything they need to "fix", but they have
>done a number of things to work around the congestion problem that MCI is
>having at the PB-NAP. They've tried to split the traffic between MAE-west
>and PB-NAP for one. I also found out last night that another major provider
>is now backhauling all of their MCI traffic to MAE-east in an attempt to steer
>clear of the problem. The combination of providers now avoiding MCI at PB-NAP,
>and CRL's attempts to better distribute the traffic are two of the main
>reasons why we set a new record. ...of course the FreeBSD 2.1.7 release helped
>out a bunch, too. :-)

Course those changes have made cdrom.com unusable for a large portion of the
state of Michigan.  We're getting a few bytes/sec transfer rates here (and im
all DS3 to Mae-East at least.  Oh well.  I've finally resorted to doing the ftp
via a 256k link I have into Sprint.  Its clipping along quite nicely at the
moment.

-Crh
--

       Charles Henrich     Michigan State University     henrich@msu.edu