Date:      Sat, 2 Dec 2000 15:20:05 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tyr'd with all this pronunciation thread

Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net> types:
> Anyway. It's the only international language we have, so
> you are stuck with it my friends.

No, it isn't. I'm not sure what the current status of Russian is in
the former warsaw pact countries, but it used to occupy the same
position as English in them.

Chinese would be a better choice - there are more chinese speakers
than any other language in the world. English is the most popular
language in the world as a second (or maybe it's third) language.

Of course, none of those three are really international
languages. They are national languages that dominate some fields
because of the dominance - either political or just in the field - of
some country that speaks them. German and Latin both used to be in
that position, but have fallen out of favor.

There are true international languages, but they don't have enough
acceptance to be worth doing translations for. Of course, once one is
done, you'd have a major in with the people who have bothered to learn
them. Anyone want to start a translation project for either Loglan or
Esperanto?

	<mike
Independent WWW/Unix/FreeBSD consultant,	email for more information.