Date:      Thu, 17 Apr 1997 12:51:06 -0400
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Ron Bickers <rbickers@intercenter.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Binaries in Usenet (was: News...)

Ron Bickers wrote in message ID
<Pine.BSF.3.95q.970417112546.302A-100000@bigboy.intercenter.net>:
> > A lot of people are afraid that by dropping sex newsgroups specifically,
> > they will become legally vulnerable since they are EDITTING the material
> > on their news server based on its content. But there's an interesting

> Blockbuster doesn't have an X-rated movie section.  Does that mean they're
> editing material?  No.  I'm not a lawyer either, but not carrying a.b.p.e
> is not "editing" anything, it's simply making it not available at all.
> There's nothing illegal about that.

Depends. A lot of ISP's advertise `unlimited' access. It can be
legally questionable to start deleting newsgroups if you advertised
that. And it could be awkward if you changed your advertising before
you changed your group listing, as people from the old ad campaign
would still get rather pissed.

On the other hand, my point of view is that carrying these groups is a
legal liability. ``unlimited internet'' does NOT mean ``unlimited
license to break state and federal law on distribution of
pornography''. That's one thing that lusers always seem to forget, is
that SOMEONE (typically not them) is liable for the availability of
such `information', and in the end it's their right to pull it since
it's their neck on the line. Or put it another way, I'd say ``would
you rather lose the porn groups now or the entire server(s) when we
get raided by the state police for illegal pornography
distribution??''

> > IMHO the solution is to clean up binaries from USENET and force people to
> > use file transfer protocols (FTP, HTTP, DCC, FSP) to transfer files.

> I second that.  It's out of control.  Wonder what kind of bandwidth would
> be freed up if that were to happen.

>From my feed log from Mar 30 (the highest volume I've ever registered
on my server):

Usenet Statistics (1997/03/29 - 1997/03/30)

Total feed size: 7189.87 Mb in 244236 articles over 1.00 days

Average daily rate: 7190.03 Mb, 244241 articles

Top 20 newsgroup hierarchies by article size

 Rank    Key                                     Size/day (Mb)   %age of total

  1      alt                                       6919.14         96.23
  2      alt.binaries                              6070.56         84.43
  3      alt.binaries.pictures                     2768.54         38.51
  4      alt.binaries.pictures.erotica             2193.74         30.51
  5      alt.binaries.warez                        1165.76         16.21
  6      alt.binaries.warez.ibm-pc                 1108.81         15.42
  7      alt.binaries.games                         893.78         12.43
  8      alt.binaries.multimedia                    490.09          6.82
  9      alt.binaries.multimedia.erotica            438.19          6.09
  10     alt.sex                                    358.78          4.99
  11     alt.binaries.warez.ibm-pc.games            243.04          3.38
  12     alt.binaries.sounds                        233.14          3.24
  13     alt.binaries.mac                           231.41          3.22
  14     alt.binaries.mac.applications              226.32          3.15
  15     alt.binaries.pictures.erotic               205.80          2.86
  16     alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.teen         196.65          2.74
  17     alt.binaries.pictures.erotic.centerfolds   186.64          2.60
  18     alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.admiralkrag  173.69          2.42
  19     alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.blondes      148.77          2.07
  20     alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.teen.female  139.61          1.94

(note: there was an alledgedly higher throughput this last weekend,
 but server problems kept my machine unreliable enough that I didn't
 catch it)

So, thats roughly 2 gig of porn. Multiply that by all the news boxes
in the world. Then add in the disk usage. Then add in the overhead
added with all the IHAVE/CHECK commands. Then add in the larger
history causing more processor/disk/memory to be thrown in the
box. Not forgetting overviews. The porn spammers probably cost the
average ISP $1 per reader per year in hardware upgrades just 'cos of
their spam (that's NOT including any additional internal
bandwidth). That's not including the `legit' porn. I'd say that if the
porn was taken off the net tomorrow, the performance of my server
would double within 2 weeks (the length of time my /remember/ is set
to) (maybe a bit shorter if I get really pissed and rebuild my history
file :) ).

And you know what the REALLY sad part is? Reader stats show that the
porn-of-questionably-aged-people is the most popular. There are sick
people out there. And most of them are on the net for that sole
reason.

Gary