Date:      Wed, 26 Nov 1997 10:00:27 +0100
From:      tg@award.de
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   PIIX configuration

Hello all,
while looking through the source in /sys/pci yesterday, I noticed that the
detection code for the Intel 82371xx IDE chip (PIIX) was present in 2 places.

The detection code in pcisupport.c will find the chip first, claim it and
display that it found one, but will not do anything with the chip.

This effectively blocks the detection code in wd82371.c, which means that the
more sophisticated code there does not get executed at all, so no DMA setup.
Quite a pity if your IDE disk supports DMA.

As I was playing around (OK, hacking around) in the wd PCI interface stuff
trying to speed up my IDE disk (it's nearly 3 times faster when using Linux,
but I want to run FREEBSD), I wondered if there was any sound technical reason
behind this ?

Regards,

Timo

P.S.: I would appreciate replies to be cc'ed to this address, as I only
      subscribe to hackers-digest.