Date:      Sun, 9 May 2004 22:09:24 -0700
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        Muthu_T@Dell.com
Cc:        freebsd-ia64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 20040502 snapshot + Dell PE3250

On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 10:18:11AM +0530, Muthu_T@Dell.com wrote:

>    While Partition Creation Screen(DiskLabel Editor), I am seeing 2
> issues.
>
> 1. In the normal x86 installation, sysinstall first create the Slice in
> the selected
> Disk and then it will goto DiskLabel Editor to create partitions on the
> slice.
> I couldn't see this step in IA64 install. It skips the Slice creation
> and directly
> Goes to Partition creation Screen. What is the reason behind this?

There are no slices on ia64 or put differently, there's no need for
a secord level partitioning scheme if you have all the space in the
GPT.
So where on i386 you need two levels (MBR + BSD disklabel) for various
reasons, on ia64 this can all be handled by the GPT.

> 2. In the current partition creation(disklabel editor) screen, I can see
> only
> EFI partition as 100MB size. Actually I already has RedHat AS 2.1
> installed on this machine.
> But that ext2 & swap partition are not displayed at all. Will
> sysinstall/IA64 doesn't understand
> Linux & other Oses(windoz)?

FreeBSD doesn't do anything yet with foreign partitions. Unfortunately,
the sysinstall tool destroys foreign partitions. This clearly is a
bug. This was not intended.