Date:      Thu, 17 Feb 2000 10:36:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: lynx-ssl problem

On Fri, 18 Feb 2000, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:

> > I forgot to mention in the other email that instead of building from
> > source you can just add the relevant openssl package described in Ch. 6.5
> > of the handbook, found at http://www.freebsd.org/~kris/openssl
>
> I can get THOSE packages, since I'm not in the USA. And the packages
       't?

> "described" in that section are not really described! Their existance is
> _mentioned_, but no where is said in what path they can be found or
> their name! Now, Internat is a big place, y'know... :-)

Right, because I'm still trying to get someone to put them on
ftp.freebsd.org and internat.freebsd.org :) Bug Mark Murray about getting
the international one on the internat ftp site. In the meantime, you can
just compile it up on another 4.0 machine and transfer
/usr/lib/lib{ssl,crypto}.*, /usr/bin/openssl and /usr/include/openssl/* to
your machine.

> I tried to install openssl from ports, but it was not allowed by that
> rule I complained about. I commented it out, installed it, but lynx-ssl
> won't compile because it is expecting the base-system OpenSSL. When you
> say "package", above, are your refering to something to something that
> will be installed in the base system, or something that will still be
> ignored by the lynx-ssl port (and any other port requiring SSL, since
> that rule is in Mk/)?

I'm referring to the base system openssl binary package, which installs
the same things under /usr as if you'd compiled the relevant version from
source, since there are several possible permutations. Once you install
that everything will work just fine.

Kris

----
"How many roads must a man walk down, before you call him a man?"
"Eight!"
"That was a rhetorical question!"
"Oh..then, seven!" -- Homer Simpson