Date:      Sat, 04 Mar 2000 23:44:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alex Zepeda <jazepeda@pacbell.net>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Great American Gas Out

On Sun, 5 Mar 2000, Matthew N. Dodd wrote:

> On Sat, 4 Mar 2000, Alex Zepeda wrote:
> > MTBE causes more harm than good.  Sure the air in metropolitan areas
> > (Bay Area, LA, NY) is better than it was 20 or 30 years ago, but with
> > the creeping SUVitis, it's starting to get worse.  Sure the exhaust is
> > cleaner, but there's so much more of it that it is still overwhelming
> > the environment.
>
> I wouldn't have a problem with SUVs if they were required to pass
> emissions and safety requirements other passenger vehicles are.

Sure, but there's no way the monster SUVs couldn't cause danger to other
non monster SUVs.  They're just bigger, and have got bigger blind spots,
and will handle poorer, take longer to stop, etc.

And again, sure, the mini-SUVs could probably do it, but well
<mocking tone of voice>
What's the point of an SUV if it isn't bigger than my mansion?
</voice>

- alex