Date:      Tue, 1 Mar 2005 13:00:43 GMT
From:      "Devon H. O'Dell" <dodell@offmyserver.com>
To:        freebsd-www@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: www/78239: [patch] Building www from cvs without doc

The following reply was made to PR www/78239; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Devon H. O'Dell" <dodell@offmyserver.com>
To: "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@FreeBSD.org>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 13:54:57 +0100

 On Tue, 2005-03-01 at 13:51 +0100, Simon L. Nielsen wrote:
 > On 2005.03.01 13:34:00 +0100, Devon H. O'Dell wrote:
 > >
 > > 	I might be missing something here, but it appears to me to be
 > > 	impossible to build the www tree without also having the doc/
 > > 	module.
 >
 > This is correct - it's a choice, not a bug.  The web site you will get
 > built withoing having doc/ is incomplete, though you can do www/ build
 > without doc/ to do tests of most individual pages.
 >
 > This should probably be documented more clearly...

 Then perhaps it would be beneficial to apply the second part of the
 patch only? It seems logical that this is only an issue for people new
 to the www build process (such as myself, heh), so just typing ``make''
 and having it tell me about the WEB_ONLY knob as well would probably
 save some confusion in the future.

 Sorry if this is well-documented on the list; I guess I should have
 searched here first.

 --Devon