Date:      Sun, 12 Sep 1999 12:29:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Wayne Cuddy <wayne@crb-web.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: more info Re: how did I manage this?

On Sun, 12 Sep 1999, Chris Costello wrote:

> Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 10:13:45 -0500
> From: Chris Costello <chris@calldei.com>
> To: Wayne Cuddy <wayne@crb-web.com>
> Cc: hackers@FreeBSD.org
> Subject: Re: more info Re: how did I manage this?
>
> On Sun, Sep 12, 1999, Chris Costello wrote:
> > > However, if do a 'cd \$DEST_DIR' I end up in the root directory.  If I do a
> > > 'rm $DEST_DIR/', I get 'rm: /: is a directory'.  If it can't be a hard link I
> > > have no idea what it is.
> >
> >    That's because $DEST_DIR is expanding to "/".
>
>    Oops!  No it's not.  It's expanding to nothing because it's
> unset.  See my second paragraph (sentence):
>
> >    Try unsetting that variable and then enclosing it in single
> > quotes in your rm command.
>
> --
> |Chris Costello <chris@calldei.com>
> |A low level language is one whose programs
> |require attention to the irrelevant.
> `------------------------------------------

It is not set but also it will not expand to nothing as I prefixed it with the
'\' character.  For instance if you do 'ls \$HOME' the ls command will look
for an entry of $HOME.  However I went ahead and tried the single quotes and
some more commands (output below):

>rm '$DEST_DIR'
rm: $DEST_DIR: is a directory

>ls '$DEST_DIR'
$2

Interestingly enough 2 is the inode number of both the root directory and the root
directory of the /home partition.