Date:      Sat, 29 Dec 2018 04:27:00 -0600
From:      Scott Bennett <bennett@sdf.org>
To:        koobs@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lang/python36 port problem

Kubilay Kocak <koobs@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On 23/12/2018 8:11 pm, Scott Bennett wrote:
> >       The last time lang/python36 was updated, something got messed up, so that
> > now "portmaster -a" wants to reinstall it every time it is run, even if it is
> > run as "portmaster -x Python36 -x python36 -a".  It's a nuisance, a waste of
> > time, and it increases the size of incremental backups.
> >

> Hi Scott,
>
> What what the exact port version/revision that the issue you observe
> first started?

     I'm not sure because it was going on for a while before I noticed it.
However, I found a way to make it stop.  Searching back through the logs,
I found an example of portmaster reinstalling as an *upgrade* from python34,
which I no longer have installed.  There is no python34 binary or other files
as far as I can see, nor is there anything in /usr/ports/distfiles for
[Pp]ython34*, nor is there a /usr/ports/lang/python34 directory.  My pkg data
base appears to have an entry for it that says it *is* installed.  I have no
clue how this situation came about.  I don't know sqlite (or whichever data
base system is used by pkg(8)), so I have no idea how to delete the bad entry.
Meanwhile, adding "-x Python34 -x python34" has stopped the reinstallations.

> What is the FreeBSD version (uname -a) of the system?

     It's 11.2-STABLE at r341329, but that probably is irrelevant now, given
the problem in my pkg data base.

> Is the ports system portsnap based, or svn based? If the latter, is the
> tree up to date and free of conflicts/local updates?

     The FreeBSD ports tree, in my experience, has *never* been free of
conflicts.  I maintain a one-line file of my portmaster -a command that shows
all the -x parameters for the many installed ports that no longer build for
one reason or another.  But, yes, the tree is rarely more than a day or two
out of date.

> Does pkg version show the port as out of date? What is the output of pkg
> version -v |grep -i python?

     Given that the package is not installed, pkg info python34 output is:

python34-3.4.9_1
Name           : python34
Version        : 3.4.9_1
Installed on   : Mon Aug  6 10:57:21 2018 CDT
Origin         : lang/python34
Architecture   : FreeBSD:11:amd64
Prefix         : /usr/local
Categories     : python lang ipv6
Licenses       : PSFL
Maintainer     : python@FreeBSD.org
WWW            : https://www.python.org/
Comment        : Interpreted object-oriented programming language
Options        :
	DEBUG          : off
	FNV            : off
	IPV6           : on
	LIBFFI         : on
	NLS            : on
	PYMALLOC       : on
	SIPHASH        : off
	THREADS        : on
	TSC            : off
Shared Libs required:
	libcrypto.so.9
	libintl.so.8
	libreadline.so.7
	libncursesw.so.6
	libtinfow.so.6
	libpanelw.so.6
	libssl.so.9
	libffi.so.6
Shared Libs provided:
	libpython3.4m.so.1
Annotations    :
	FreeBSD_version: 1101512
	cpe            : cpe:2.3:a:python:python:3.4.9:::::freebsd11:x64:1
Flat size      : 80.0MiB
Description    :
Python is an interpreted object-oriented programming language, and is
often compared to Tcl, Perl or Scheme.

WWW: https://www.python.org/

     FWIW, I will be off-line for email until late Wednesday night, so it
may be a while before I get to anything you may post in reply.
     Thanks for responding.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG
* Internet:   bennett at sdf.org   *xor*   bennett at freeshell.org  *