Date:      Thu, 29 Mar 2012 15:39:39 -0600
From:      Ian Lepore <freebsd@damnhippie.dyndns.org>
To:        Mahesh Babu <maheshbabu90@yahoo.co.in>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Regarding coredump and restart

On Fri, 2012-03-30 at 01:10 +0800, Mahesh Babu wrote:
> I am currently working on coredump and then restarting the process in FreeBSD 9.
>

> I have created the coredump file for a process using gcore of gdb.
>
> I am not able restart the process from the coredump file.
>
> Is there any ways to restart the process using gdb itself or any other ways to implement restarting of the process from the coredump file?
>

> Thanks,
> Mahesh

A coredump does not contain the entire state of a process, it only
contains the part of the state that is contained within memory belonging
to the process.  Other parts of the state can exist outside of that
memory.   For example, in open disk files, in the corresponding state of
another process at the other end of a socket connection, and so on.
Bringing back the memory image will not bring back the corresponding
state in external resources.

-- Ian