Date:      Thu, 09 Oct 1997 05:45:47 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        mika ruohotie <bsdcvs@shadows.aeon.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/etc make.conf

> the make.conf 'FTP_PASSIVE_MODE= YES' means that behind a firewall
> it's something to be used so that ftp makes passive requests and
> thus "works", right?

Right.  It's used by the standard FTP:

root@time-> cd /usr/src/usr.bin/ftp
root@time-> grep FTP_PASSIVE_MODE *
main.c: if (getenv("FTP_PASSIVE_MODE") || strcmp(cp, "pftp") == 0)

Is documented by fetch:

root@time-> cd /usr/src/usr.bin/fetch
root@time-> grep FTP_PASSIVE_MODE *
fetch.1:.Bl -tag -width FTP_PASSIVE_MODE -offset indent
fetch.1:.It Ev FTP_PASSIVE_MODE

And is implemented for fetch and other utilities in libftpio:

root@time-> cd /usr/src/lib/libftpio
root@time-> grep FTP_PASSIVE_MODE *
ftpio.c:    if (getenv("FTP_PASSIVE_MODE"))

> as far as i can see, this is far better way to do it than
> bloating the fetch to actually agree with FTP_PASSIVE_MODE.

Fetch is already, through libftpio, supposed to agree with
it.  Unfortunately, I don't have a firewall'd machined handy
to test at the moment but it's certainly worked in the past
when I did.

					Jordan