Date:      Wed, 13 Jan 2021 06:55:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        Mihai Carabas <mihai.carabas@gmail.com>
Cc:        Andrei Martin <andrei.cos.martin@gmail.com>, freebsd-arm@freebsd.org, freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [bhyve][arm64] Number of allowed vcpus

> Hello,
>
> >From my perspective bhyve should use what is stated in the device tree if
> no parameter is given and throw an error when N is greater than the device
> tree value.
>
> Mihai

That seems to be one reasonable solution.  I am not very informed on what
the CPU over commit situation is on an ARM cpu with respect to virtualization.

I would also propose as an alternative to just do what was asked by the
user, which is the current amd64 implementation, OR do as asked and
emmit a warning message.

I would ask given what was said above: isnt this the same situation as
if the sum of all VM VCPU's is more than the total cores in the system?
That is a very common situation, and one we must not restrict.