Date:      Tue, 18 Nov 2003 14:04:57 +1030
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Timothy Opie <timopie@dodo.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Laptops for FreeBSD (was: BSD support?)

--ao0agQACI2PjKWpV

Single line paragraphs.

On Tuesday, 18 November 2003 at 11:56:49 +1000, Timothy Opie wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am patiently saving money to purchase a laptop, hopefully by the
> end of this year. I would like to know if there are any laptop
> manufacturers that specificially support BSD, and by supporting they
> choose specific default hardware configurations that will give the
> least problems on BSD.
>
> I did a BSD-Google search for laptop and notebook, and noticed that
> Dell came up more than any other company. I have been contemplating
> getting the Dell Inspiron 5150.
>
> Does anyone have any comments on this model, or can anyone recommend
> a more BSD friendly laptop?

I believe the 5150 is OK.  I have a 5100 which has given me some
problems with X, but the 5150 is marginally different.  The Ethernet
chip (Broadcom 4400) is only supported in -CURRENT.

Greg
--
When replying to this message, please take care not to mutilate the
original text.

--ao0agQACI2PjKWpV

--ao0agQACI2PjKWpV--