Date:      Mon, 28 Jan 2002 17:10:11 -0700 (MST)
From:      "John E. Hein" <jhein@timing.com>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   bin/34394: tgetent returns wrong value in libtermcap

>Number:         34394
>Category:       bin
>Synopsis:       tgetent returns wrong value in libtermcap
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD Elmer.timing.com 4.5-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 4.5-PRERELEASE #0: Mon Dec 31 11:40:14 MST 2001 imp@hammer.village.org:/dell/imp/FreeBSD/src/sys/compile/ELMER i386

	tgetent() should return 0 if it can't find a TERM entry.  It
    returns -1 which is indistuinguishable from "can't open /etc/termcap"
    (which *should* be a return value of -1).

>How-To-Repeat:

    env TERM=nonexistent_entry /bin/csh

>Fix:

    _nc_read_termcap_entry() in lib/libncurses/termcap.c returns -1
    and grab_entry() in contrib/ncurses/ncurses/tinfo/lib_setup.c
    assumes this means that the term database is inaccessible (line
    332 of RELENG_4_5).  It dutifully passes this up the chain to
    tgetent which returns the wrong value.  I think the fix should
    be made to lib/libncurses/termcap.c to return a better value from
    _nc_read_termcap_entry(), but I'm not sure all the ramifications
    (i.e., how it affects other callers of that function).