Date:      Mon, 25 Jan 1999 09:53:10 +0100 (CET)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kvm question

On Sun, 24 Jan 1999, Mike Smith wrote:

> > <<On Sat, 23 Jan 1999 11:04:15 -0800 (PST), Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com> said:
> >
> > > Peter pointed out that having the sysctl's as symbols was a nice
> > > advantage of the current system. How important is this?
> >
> > I don't think it's important at all.  (Then again, I liked the old
> > system.)
> >
> > > If we were willing to give this up, then the SYSCTL() macro could
> > > just expand to a SYSINIT() that called sysctl_add_subtree() (or
> > > whatever you want to call it) upon loading.
> >
> > Seems reasonable to me.  The only problem with this is likely to be
> > OID_AUTO, which I happen to think is bogus anyway.  It is vital that
> > we maintain the ability to reference sysctl entities by compile-time
> > constant integers, so as not to break backwards compatibility with
> > other 4.4 systems and the Stevens books.
>
> Backwards compatibility is one thing, but new nodes should be named,
> not numbered.  OID_AUTO is bogus because it perpetuates the numbering
> of nodes.

...that is, IFF we're going to keep the number/name pairs as OIDs, and not
only the numbers, which seems more appropriate...

Andrzej Bialecki

 <abial@nask.pl>       ||PicoBSD||   FreeBSD in your pocket? Go and see:
 Research & Academic   |+-------+|       "Small & Embedded FreeBSD"
 Network in Poland     | |TT~~~| |    http://www.freebsd.org/~picobsd/