Date:      29 Mar 1999 09:37:37 -0500
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@uucom.com>
To:        Robert Mooney <rmooney@iss.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.1-STABLE + Amanda + HP T4000

On Sun, 28 Mar 1999 23:09:53 -0500 (EST), Robert Mooney <rmooney@iss.net> said:

Robert> The system is running 3.1-STABLE w/ Amanda 2.4.1p1.
Robert> While attempting to write a label to a TR4 (travan 4gb native)
Robert> tape, I received the following error:
	[SCSI illegal request]

I have the same drive, -STABLE, and Amanda --  it's not limited to
Amanda.

For some reason I don't completely comprehend, the driver rewinds
after each device closure (right term?) even on a no-rewind device for
this and some similar hardware.  It affects even something as simple
as a multifilesystem dump -- each one overwrites the previous due to
the intervening rewinds.  For similar reasons, Amlabel writes the
label, but then it gets overwritten with the first Amanda filesystem
dump so amanda thinks it's not an amanda tape.

The author of the driver and some affected users have been discussing
the best solution for a couple weeks; probably best to join
freebsd-scsi to track progress.

(I was considering a workaround using "tar" to glob all the
filesystems together and write them in one go to the tape -- a gross
hack but something that might get me some backups until the problem is
resolved. Fortunately I have an old DDS2 drive which behaves well under
the 3.x driver).

Robert> I've done backups using the QIC-3095 (2gb native) tapes under
Robert> FreeBSD 2.2.7.  Unfortunately, the use of a larger tape and
Robert> newer OS seems to have gotten me in a bind.

Actually, it was the driver that changed from 2.2.x to 3.x. They seem
to behave very differently.