Date:      Tue, 7 Jan 1997 11:33:53 -0800
From:      "Jin Guojun[ITG]" <jin@george.lbl.gov>
To:        davidn@unique.usn.blaze.net.au
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: help on set netmasks

"David Nugent" writes:
} > I do not want to explicitly to use netmask x.x.x.y. Because
} > the host may have many network interfaces, and some of them
} > will be dynamically changed.  I really want to have a file
} > to contain all subnet masks for default setting.
}
} Yep.
}
}
} > BSD was using /etc/netmasks to do so. Does any one know what
} > is right now?
}
} The same. Works fine for subnets too.

Nothing works for me.

} e.g.
}
} /etc/networks:
} blazenet                203.17.53.0
} blazenet-netmask        255.255.255.0
} usn                     203.17.53.16
} usn-netmask             255.255.255.240
} lzs                     203.17.53.48
} lzs-netmask             255.255.255.240

Configuring your subnet as part of a class B network, see if it works.
There is no problem for class C netowrks :-) due to the IP design.

} netstat -r:
} Destination        Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use     Netif Expire
} blazenet           link#1             UC          0        0
} usn/28             unique.usn         UGc         1    19406      ppp0
} unique.usn         server             UH          2    34262      ppp0
} lzs/28             cuffs.lzs          UGc         1    14256      ppp1
} cuffs.lzs          server             UH          2     5798      ppp1

Nothing can be told from netstat report. You may have netmasks set in
the /etc/sysconfig file. Only things may convince me are the /etc/sysconfig
file and the "ifconfig -a" command. If you have no netmasks set in your
/etc/sysconfig and "ifconfig -a" shows that you had right netmasks.

Thanks,

-Jin