Date:      Thu, 28 Dec 1995 00:12:30 +0100 (MET)
From:      Mattias.Gronlund@sa.erisoft.se (Mattias Gronlund)
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   sysctl interface

Hi,
 I now have installed 2.2-current as of 22-december and I found out
that kern_sysctl.c have gone thew a lot of changes, and that have
given me a question:

There's some new interfaces in the sysctl MIB that's not
documented but there is a comment that says:
/*
 * "Staff-functions"
 *
 * These functions implement a presently undocumented interface
 * used by the sysctl program to walk the tree, and get the type
 * so it can print the value.
 * This interface is under work and consideration, and should probably
 * be killed with a big axe by the first person who can find the time.
 * (be aware though, that the proper interface isn't as obvious as it
 * may seem, there are various conflicting requirements.
 *
 * {0,0}	printf the entire MIB-tree.
 * {0,1,...}	return the name of the "..." OID.
 * {0,2,...}	return the next OID.
 * {0,3}	return the OID of the name in "new"
 * {0,4,...}	return the kind & format info for the "..." OID.
 */
 I guess there is some essential things that isn't working
(0.4.hw.devconf.x for example), is there any ongoing work or any
forum where this is discussed?

/Mattias