Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 1995 12:45:06 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@rocky.sri.MT.net>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@rocky.sri.MT.net>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with FreeBSD 2.1.0-RELEASE

Mark Murray writes:
> Nate Williams wrote:
> :-) :-) :-) Nyah Nyah Nyah! <dodges tomatoes, rotten eggs and other
> missiles>
>
> _I_ started with 386BSD _before_ the patchkit days !!!
> <*WHACK* - Hey! No fair! (wipes tomato juice out of eyes)>

Hey, I helped start the patchkit, so of course it was before the
patchkit days.  I think I'm one of the 386bsd 0.1 contributors. :)

> I bought this 486dx50 for the same reason. I reckon it has at least a
> year of life in it, given my financial situation. Heck - I bought my first
> 300MB SCSI drive for UNIX, only I couldn't afford these @#$%ing SYSV4.2
> pieces of %&*! that were going around. Ain't I glad now!

The orignal 340MB drive is done now.  I thought it went bad so I traded
something for a modem.  The modem was useless, and it turned out the
drive was fine, it was a problem with my power supply.

> > It *was* the development box for the 'interim release' and the builder
> > of patchkits until WC donated freefall. :)
>
> Hmm... Piece of history, then... Please take some photographs and submit
> them somewhere for posterity. (I volunteer if no-one else does)

It looks quite a bit different than it did originally.  It's now got a
NEC 3x CD-ROM and a nice 17" monitor on it.  Much better than the
mono-VGA system originally which had 512K of memory. :(

Besides, who wants to look at tower case with floppies on it? *grin*

Nate