Date:      Mon, 02 Mar 1998 20:50:16 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami), regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports for X11 stuff

> It's quite achievable; the question is (as Jordan asked) whether it's
> going to surprise people that *expect* it to be in /usr.

I think attempting to move things to their own partitions in an
attempt to outsmart the user also only misses the point.  The *real*
nut in need of cracking here is to simply supply enough sizing
information that /usr or any other partition becomes as big (either as
an advisory or as the default behavior for "auto" layout) as its
contents merit.

In other words, this problem does NOT call for a special case, it
calls for the general case (of sizing any partition) being made more
robust. :)

Mike & I will be talking about this a fair bit before 2.2.6 comes out
in an attempt to arrive at a workable solution.

					Jordan