Date:      Sat, 12 Aug 1995 16:10:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        gibbs@freefall.FreeBSD.org (Justin T. Gibbs)
Cc:        davidg@root.com, kimc@w8hd.org, ats@freebsd.first.gmd.de, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: install -current blows up: invalid time of day

> >> While we're talking about make world failures, groff's indxbib depends
> >> on /usr/share/dict/eign.
> >
> >I take it you did an rm -r /usr/share and found out about this.  If not
> >this is _not_ the only file in /usr/share groff related that will cause
> >you grief if you do the above :-(.
> >

> >--
> >Rod Grimes                                      rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com
> >Accurate Automation Company                 Reliable computers for FreeBSD
>
> Actually, I tried a make world on a system that didn't have share/dict
> for some reason or another (perhaps it was the distributions we chose,
> can't recall.

Yes, if you don't install the dict option you can't rebuild anything
that needs eign :-(.

It is far worse if you do what I do on occasion, and that is blast
all of /usr/share away (really just don't use my nfs mount of it as
I want to build a local one).  Several things fall over, and it takes
me a few times to get make world finished every time I do this.  It
would make a bigger mess of src/Makefile to fix than IMHO it is worth.