Date:      Sun, 02 Jan 2000 18:41:07 -0500
From:      Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
To:        Peter Losher <Peter.Losher@iengines.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "File too large" in Amanda restore?

>	We have a situation here where we have our Amanda backup system
>running on a BSDI v3.1 box (legacy system).  We tried running a restore of
>a partition off of a recently departed RAID system onto another RAID
>attached to a FreeBSD v3.4-STABLE box over NFS.  We keep running into a
>problem where the restore process keeps stalling mid-way thru the process
>with the error:
>
>-=-
>amrestore: short write: File too large
>-=-
>
>The NFS partition where it was restoring to had enough space (was at 28%
>of a 15GB partition, and the file being restored was just under 4.3GB in
>size).  Could this be a NFS error, or a FreeBSD error?

This is probably because you're using NFSv2 which has a 2 GB filesize
limit.  NFSv3 isn't limited to 2 GB so if you can use v3 that will help.
If not, you need to use a different method to move the data over the net.

>(I searched thru
>the archives before posting, no one else seems to have had this problem, so
>I am not inclined to think it's FreeBSD right now)

Rather than assume the problem is FreeBSD I would assume the problem is
that you're looking for the answer to an amanda problem on a FreeBSD
list.  Most of the Amanda people are on amanda-users@amanda.org.
Believe me, people have had this problem...

-Mitch