Date:      Sat, 26 Aug 1995 07:55:52 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Request for bumping OSRELDATE

As Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

> > Yes, exactly.  Make it 08, NEVER make it higher than "today".

ok.

> I will affirm this possition.  Setting OSRELDATE to the future is
> a really nasty thing to do.  As is doing #ifdef's based upon an
> unassigned numbers (something in pcvt comes to mind).

2.0.5 has been an "assigned number" by the time when i've started to
put the #ifdef's there -- remember, it has even been CVS tagged.  The
error was to remove a CVS tag (which should IMHO never be done, even
if the tag remains unused since the release never happens).

CVS(1)                                                     CVS(1)

NAME
       cvs - Concurrent Versions System

       tag [-lQqR] [-b] [-d] symbolic_tag [files...]
              If you use `cvs tag -d symbolic_tag...',  the  sym-
              bolic  tag  you specify is deleted instead of being
              added.  Warning: Be very  certain  of  your  ground
              before  you  delete  a  tag; doing this effectively
              discards some  historical  information,  which  may
              later turn out to have been valuable.

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/