Date:      Tue, 2 Apr 2013 19:51:02 +0900
From:      Julio Merino <julio@meroh.net>
To:        Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Machine shutting down due to temperature issue

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 1:43 AM, Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>wrote:

> I'd guess a faulty fan on the U3 (which is the northbridge),

I'll take a look... assuming I can find that fan. The last time I tried to
hunt this down I saw no fans on the motherboard. Are you sure it exists?
Any pictures on where to find it? iFixit didn't help. This is a dual 2GHz
PowerMac G5.

> but it's possible there is something else at work.

I've been attempting to rebuild that particular file in pcre
(libpcre16_la-pcre16_exec.lo, although I'm not sure if it's the same as
always) now and paused the compiler with Ctrl+Z every 5 seconds while
allowing the machine to rest. In one of these short bursts of activity, the
problem reappeared. Doing the same but pausing every 3 seconds allowed it
to complete.

Otherwise, I've been building lots of other software (including a
buildworld!) successfully. Which is what I find weird...

>  Could you forward the output of sysctl dev.fcu?

dev.fcu.0.%desc: Apple Fan Control Unit
dev.fcu.0.%driver: fcu
dev.fcu.0.%location: addr=0x15e
dev.fcu.0.%pnpinfo: name=fan compat=fcu
dev.fcu.0.%parent: iicbus0
dev.fcu.0.fans.cpu_a_intake.minrpm: 600
dev.fcu.0.fans.cpu_a_intake.maxrpm: 7000
dev.fcu.0.fans.cpu_a_intake.rpm: 576
dev.fcu.0.fans.cpu_a_exhaust.minrpm: 600
dev.fcu.0.fans.cpu_a_exhaust.maxrpm: 7000
dev.fcu.0.fans.cpu_a_exhaust.rpm: 576
dev.fcu.0.fans.cpu_b_intake.minrpm: 600
dev.fcu.0.fans.cpu_b_intake.maxrpm: 7000
dev.fcu.0.fans.cpu_b_intake.rpm: 576
dev.fcu.0.fans.cpu_b_exhaust.minrpm: 600
dev.fcu.0.fans.cpu_b_exhaust.maxrpm: 7000
dev.fcu.0.fans.cpu_b_exhaust.rpm: 576
dev.fcu.0.fans.drive_bay.minrpm: 600
dev.fcu.0.fans.drive_bay.maxrpm: 7000
dev.fcu.0.fans.drive_bay.rpm: 576
dev.fcu.0.fans.slot.minpwm: 30
dev.fcu.0.fans.slot.maxpwm: 100
dev.fcu.0.fans.slot.pwm: 33
dev.fcu.0.fans.slot.rpm: 1160
dev.fcu.0.fans.backside.minpwm: 30
dev.fcu.0.fans.backside.maxpwm: 100
dev.fcu.0.fans.backside.pwm: 53
dev.fcu.0.fans.backside.rpm: 2184

I don't think I've seen any of the fan speeds go up... and those 576
numbers, being out of range, seem strange.

--
Julio Merino / @jmmv