Date:      Tue, 11 Nov 1997 10:45:59 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Gary D. Margiotta" <gary@tbe.net>
To:        FreeBSD Hardware List <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   MB Chipset Differences

Hello,

I have a quick question, though the answers might not be so.  I am looking
for some new motherboards, and I would like to clear up some fog in my
head over the different chipsets the boards have.  I am including what I
think I know about the different chipsets, but have one nagging question
which I would love an anser to above all the other things:  Among the VX,
TX, and HX chipsets, what does the max cacheable RAM mean?  I know the VX
& TX can do up to 64 MB, and the HX can do 512 MB, but what does this mean
in the long run, and how does this affect server performance?

VX:  Good chipset for low-to-medium end machines, can cache up to 64 MB
RAM, and can support both 72-pin SIMMS and 168-pin DRAM, though not always
at the same time.

TX:  Fast chipset, good for higher-end systems, and its strongpoint is
SDRAM.  CAn cache up to 64 MB RAM.

HX:  Good for high-end servers.  Supports 72-pin SIMMS, and can accept and
cache up to 512 MB of RAM.

FX:  Used in PPro boards.  Not much known about this chipset.

What am I missing, where am I wrong, and what else should I know.  (I know
that is a lot to ask, and I apologize).  I have been quite happy with the
Asus, Gigabyte and Tyan boards that we have, but I would like to know a
bit more before I buy another.  I am partial to the HX boards, but I
couldn't really explain why and have it hold up in a 'HX is better than TX
is better than VX' discussion.

-Gary Margiotta				Voice:	(973) 835-9696
TBE Internet Services			Fax:	(973) 256-4605
http://www.tbe.net			E-Mail:	gary@tbe.net