Date:      Sat, 25 Apr 2020 13:35:21 +0200
From:      Tomasz CEDRO <tomek@cedro.info>
To:        Shane Ambler <FreeBSD@shaneware.biz>
Cc:        Adam Weinberger <adamw@adamw.org>, freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: BLENDER 2.79

On Sat, Apr 25, 2020 at 11:24 AM Shane Ambler wrote:
> I have updated my redports copy of blender279 to use python 3.6. The
> change is only making it find the new version, this builds and passes
> limited testing. I will rely on you testing it to suit your needs to see
> if I need to make any other patches for py36.
>
> The question now is whether we want to submit blender279/oiio18 as
> official ports for some time or whether you keep it as a private port.

Shane you are the best! Thank you!! I guess it should work with Python
3.6 with no problem. I usually add numpy and stuff like that locally
and work on top of that :-)

For me (and maybe other blender users) it would be best to have
Blender 2.79 in ports tree and in PKG repository. Thus my question if
we can include it. But if that is a big problem I can build it on my
own as I did so far.

If possible we could include it in the official ports tree and with
first bigger maintenance problem we can remove it. I will respect any
of your decisions :-)

> Have you looked at devel/godot-tools?
> The GDScript it uses internally is very similar to python, so is a quick
> learning curve. There is also a visual node-based scripting. While there
> is C# support, I don't have that working in FreeBSD yet, the mono port
> update in bugs.freebsd comes close.
>
> It is common for godot developers to use blender for 3d assets.

Yes I got a glance at this new approach and none of them compares to
workflow of BGE that was included with Blender - I could run only
Blender on a base X server with absolutely no other applications and I
got everything bundled inside a file explorer, 3D object and scene
modeller, image and animation exporter / editor, text editor, python
shell, and game engine that would run my application by simply
pressing 'P' key, then by pressing 'Esc' I got back into editor in the
same window. Everything was done with Python in the same window that I
could split into planes, including programming, debugging, modelling,
even visual block setup. This project was stared in 1994  and I was
always amazed on how well architected it was in every detail. Even
*.blend files included "DNA" header with data structures definitions
that allowed project import/export between different versions of the
software. It could even export your project bundle with a
blender-player into a fully standalone one file binary for a given
system. Blender also could very easily (one click or cli parameter)
run such application with a stereoscopy picture using different
techniques.

I am sure it could (and still can) run on a bare Wayland as it has its
own GUI components rendered at once in whole screen. That was
initially a goal for network transparency optimization, but they
predicted what will happen with display methods in 20 years quite
well.

This was really perfect all-in-one swiss-army-knife environment for VR
development. But it had this 80/90's coherent design approach which
seems to be gone now thanks to all of those UX/UI
artistic-engineering-change-is-good-think-later kids. They have no
principal understanding of the core concepts of engineering but they
do already change our world. Blender its just another 3D application
castrated of its core functionality that made it unique. Also it
follows modern approach of workflow distraction and complication. Thus
my mixed feelings. Maybe one day I will adapt it to my needs again.

I know there are different 3D engines, far better than BGE in many
ways could ever be (it was old, slow, ugly, and buggy as hell I know),
but yet nothing compares to integrated all-in-one-place workflow that
I had with Blender 2.79- described above. Now I need to have whole set
of external tools, exporters, formats, and they use different
programming languages, then I need to export it again. Not to mention
missing features, bugs, etc. I don't really need and have no time for
all of this. If I wanted a workflow like this I would long time ago
switch to Unity. I also daily work on electronics design and
prototyping, firmware development, os stuff, web development,
sometimes mobiles. I just need things that work and offload tons of
crap from my head. Blender was doing its job sufficiently well for my
needs even with this nasty BGE :-)

Long story short: Thank you Shane for keeping and providing the old
port for Blender in your red-pots. It will be great to try out Blender
2.79 with currently supported Python 3.6 in place of older 3.5. If we
could bundle Blender 2.79 into FreeBSD's Ports and PKG with no big
trouble, until first bigger issues arise, that would be great, but I
will respect any of the team decision :-)

Best regards :-)
Tomek