Date:      Wed, 24 May 95 22:04:25 -0400
From:      "Shawn M. Carey" <smcarey@mailbox.syr.edu>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ups 2.45.2 Does C++

In message <199505241311.PAA19529@blaise.ibp.fr> you write:
>> ups 2.45.2 is rather old, I thought the current version was 3.7 ?
>
>Do you have a pointer for a recent version 3.x ? I've been unable to
>find it with archie.

A little off topic, but I thought some of you might be interested
in this.

I just recently got ddd-1.2 up and running on my 1.1.5 system.  Ddd is
a GPL'd X/Motif based gdb/dbx driver.  I usually prefer the good old
emacs-gud method of debugging, but that may change after a few more
ddd sessions!  Here's the first few paragraphs of the blurb:

    The Data Display Debugger (DDD) is a novel graphical user
    interface to GDB and DBX, the popular UNIX debuggers.  Besides
    ``usual'' features such as viewing source texts and breakpoints,
    DDD provides a *graphical data display*, where data structures are
    displayed as graphs.  A simple mouse click dereferences pointers
    or views structure contents.  Complex data structures can be
    explored incrementally and interactively, using automatic layout
    if preferred.  Each time the program stops, the data display
    reflects the current variable values.  Using DDD, you can reason
    about your application by viewing its data, not just by viewing it
    execute lines of source code.

    Other DDD features include: debugging of programs written in C,
    C++, Pascal, or Modula-2; hypertext source navigation and lookup;
    GDB/DBX command-line interface with full editing, history, and
    completion capabilities; breakpoint, backtrace, and history
    editors; optional program execution in terminal emulator window;
    debugging on remote host; on-line manual; interactive help on the
    OSF/Motif user interface.  DDD has been designed to compete with
    well-known commercial debuggers.

You can get the source for ddd at:

ftp://ftp.ips.cs.tu-bs.de:/pub/local/softech/ddd/ddd-1.2.tar.gz

I also have diffs that fix a few minor problems for 1.1.5, if
anyone is interested.

-Shawn Carey