Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 1995 11:45:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "William A. Arbaugh" <waa@aurora.cis.upenn.edu>
To:        "Rashid Karimov." <rashid@haven.ios.com>
Cc:        Greg Rowe <greg@mn.interact.net>, freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Kernel Config for > 16meg

On Wed, 12 Apr 1995, Rashid Karimov. wrote:

> 		Hi there,
>

> >  I have some Compaq systems with EISA memory expansion boards running FreeBSD
> > 2.0 (next to the latest Snap). The systems have 16 meg on the main board and 8
> > meg on the expansion board. The Compaq config utility and DOS both see 24 meg
> > but FreeBSD only picks up 16. Is there a way to kludge the kernel so that it
> > uses all 24 meg ? Thanks.
>
> 	Most probably you'll need to hack a kernel code -
> 	it determines the memsize via BIOS call , which reports
> 	wrong number on certain brands ( Gateway and Micron are
> 	two examples).

Dell as well.

You'll have to hack the kernel to see all of your memory.  That's what I
did.  If you can't figure out how to do it based on Rashid's notes, email
me and I'll forward my changes with some instructions.

Bill Arbaugh
email:  waa@aurora.cis.upenn.edu
office: Moore 102
phone:  (215) 573-3639