Date:      Mon, 13 Sep 1999 10:25:57 -0400
From:      Michael Rothenberg <rothenberg@automationonline.com>
To:        gryph@mindless.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Firewalls [Was: Re: HW requirements]

At 12:07 AM 9/11/99 -0700, gryph@mindless.com wrote:
>Michael Rothenberg wrote:
>> >How fast is your internet link?
>>
>> I have no idea. Cable modem goes to the cable company };) so I am assuming
>> its at least 112k.  Hopefully more. Calling them is no help as its always
>> 'Um.. yeah you can do that, I think... but I have no idea how...sorry'
>> Thought about DSL, but its too expensive for what I am doing now, basically
>> web surfing and playing around. Maybe later when I get a web server up.
>
>I believe cable modem technology is up to 36Mbps, but your cableco or
>ISP (@home, roadrunner, etc) probably has a bandwidth cap on it.
>
>I haven't built a gateway for a cable modem before, but I would
>expect that a P100, and a pair of quality PCI NICs (I personally
>recommend 3c905B-TX's) would be enough performance.  Did you get a
>cable modem kit with an ethernet card?  If so, what brand and model?

I did not get a cable modem kit. My provider (RCN) told me to go get a
network card and put it in. After waiting for 6 weeks a guy came by pluged
a nifty little white box with lights in it into the wall and the card, did
some quick SW stuff , and boom that was that. I asked him how hard it was
to set up my other PC if I just wanted to unplug the cables and swap around
and he pulled up a property page and said, "Just copy the numbers and you
are set." have not tried it, but it appears easy (beware of things
appearing easy).

I am using all 3Com NICs. The two w95 PCs have XL's and the FBSD box will
have.....um.. I forget. Whatever comes in the home networking kit 3Com does
that has the 10/100 cards. I figure that I basically have two matched pairs
of cards so if one pair doesn't work in the FBSD box then I can swap around
and see what happens. The home kit also came with a 4 port hub so I will be
trying something like (bad text art to follow):

_____|_____
|          |
|Cable Mod.|
|__________|

_____|_____
|          |
| FBSD BOX | <- Gateway/Firewall
|__________|

| 4P HUB   |
  |  |  |
  |  |  |
__|__|__|___ <-Sub Net Mixed FBSD and MicroSloth 9X/NT

All cableing will be cat 5 if that makes a difference?

Have a nice day!

-Michael, the net inept