Date:      Thu, 25 Jul 2002 08:08:40 -0500
From:      Peter Elsner <peter@servplex.com>
To:        John Engelhart <johne@zang.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Serious File System problems (4.6-Release)

--=====================_685776==_.ALT

We had a similar problem with a bad motherboard...  Only problem is it kept
trashing the hard drives.
We went through 4 new hard drives within 3 months total.  With each hard
drive replacement, we also
replaced some other component, first was the memory, then the CPU, and
finally before putting the 5th drive in place,
I had changed out the motherboard, and the system has been up for 6 months now.

At 03:42 PM 7/24/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>On Thu, 25 Jul 2002, Wilko Bulte wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 02:32:25PM -0700, John Engelhart wrote:
> > >
> > > Thoughts?  Is it memory?  Is it CPU?  One of the CPU's is brand new.  One
> > > of the CPU's is left over from one of the original systems.  I've just
> > > purchased another CPU to rule that out.  I've also picked up a stick of
> > > 128 megs of ram, one with and one without ECC, to see if that's causing
> > > the problem.  Or am I on to some insidous SMP bug?
> > >

> > Guessing (obviously): power supply?
>
>Good suggestion.  I've been through four, however.  All with the same
>problem.  The original 2460 was kinda particular about it's power
>supplies, the 2466 seems less so as it's got the P4 extra power supply
>connector to help with the dual proc power needs.  No special voltage
>requirements are specificed for the 2466.
>
>I'm wondering if it's not the CPU.  If it were the RAM, I'd figure that
>ECC would trip up before it allowed for that kind of corruption.  *sigh*.

>with "unsubscribe freebsd-hackers" in the body of the message

Peter Elsner <peter@servplex.com>
Vice President Of Customer Service (And System Administrator)
1835 S. Carrier Parkway
Grand Prairie, Texas 75051
(972) 263-2080 - Voice
(972) 263-2082 - Fax
(972) 489-4838 - Cell Phone
(425) 988-8061 - eFax

Unix IS user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are.
System Administration - It's a dirty job, but somebody said I had to do it.
If you receive something that says 'Send this to everyone you know,
pretend you don't know me.

Standard $500/message proofreading fee applies for UCE.

--=====================_685776==_.ALT

We had a similar problem with a bad motherboard...&nbsp; Only problem is
it kept trashing the hard drives.<br>
We went through 4 new hard drives within 3 months total.&nbsp; With each
hard drive replacement, we also<br>
replaced some other component, first was the memory, then the CPU, and
finally before putting the 5th drive in place, <br>
I had changed out the motherboard, and the system has been up for 6
months now.<br><br>
At 03:42 PM 7/24/2002 -0700, you wrote:<br>
wrote:<br><br>
&gt; On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 02:32:25PM -0700, John Engelhart
wrote:<br>
&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; Thoughts?&nbsp; Is it memory?&nbsp; Is it CPU?&nbsp; One of the
CPU's is brand new.&nbsp; One<br>
&gt; &gt; of the CPU's is left over from one of the original
systems.&nbsp; I've just<br>
&gt; &gt; purchased another CPU to rule that out.&nbsp; I've also picked
up a stick of<br>
&gt; &gt; 128 megs of ram, one with and one without ECC, to see if that's
causing<br>
&gt; &gt; the problem.&nbsp; Or am I on to some insidous SMP bug?<br>
&gt; &gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Guessing (obviously): power supply?<br><br>
Good suggestion.&nbsp; I've been through four, however.&nbsp; All with
the same<br>
problem.&nbsp; The original 2460 was kinda particular about it's
power<br>
supplies, the 2466 seems less so as it's got the P4 extra power
supply<br>
connector to help with the dual proc power needs.&nbsp; No special
voltage<br>
requirements are specificed for the 2466.<br><br>
I'm wondering if it's not the CPU.&nbsp; If it were the RAM, I'd figure
that<br>
ECC would trip up before it allowed for that kind of corruption.&nbsp;
*sigh*.<br><br>
with &quot;unsubscribe freebsd-hackers&quot; in the body of the
message</blockquote>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br>
Peter Elsner &lt;peter@servplex.com&gt;<br>
Vice President Of Customer Service (And System Administrator)<br>
1835 S. Carrier Parkway<br>
Grand Prairie, Texas 75051<br>
(972) 263-2080 - Voice<br>
(972) 263-2082 - Fax<br>
(972) 489-4838 - Cell Phone<br>
(425) 988-8061 - eFax<br><br>
Unix <b>IS</b> user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends
are.<br>
System Administration - It's a dirty job, but somebody said I had to do
it.<br>
If you receive something that says 'Send this to everyone you know,
pretend you don't know me. <br><br>
Standard $500/message proofreading fee applies for UCE. <br><br>