Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 1995 02:39:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      William Wong <wwong@wiley.csusb.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   reposting again...

A while back, I posted this message but didn't get any replies.  Maybe
everyone thought that someone had already answered it?  Well, here it is again:

Greetings everyone!

I know, this is another one of those can't seem to get the drive going to even
install FreeBSD problems.  Well, here goes...

I'm trying to get the DPT ESDI caching controller (PM3011) w/4 Megs working
with 2 Fujitsu 670 Meg Full Height (fast ESDI) drives. Well, at least that is
what the person who owns this ancient beast told me, that is, the fast ESDI
part.  After low level formatting the drives with the supplied utilities from
DPT and booting up from the FreeBSD boot disk, the drives are seen as with an
"unknown size, using BIOS defaults". No matter how many cylinders I specify in
the BIOS, FreeBSD's boot disk only sees 1025 cylinders.  I guess the machine
just has an old BIOS.  Anyway, I decided to go with 1025 cylinders just to see
if the drive can be partitioned and newfs'd. I keep getting errors with
"command return status of 36".  I'm using 1025/15/53 for C/H/S since 1652/15/53
isn't being seen.  Are these the correct values for these Fujitsu drives?  Are
there any special settings I need to set for the DPT controller?  I don't know
if BIOS translation and sector sparing can be disabled on this controller.  I
am using the whole drive for FreeBSD.  Actually, both of them.

Comments, anyone?

--
William T. Wong
Network Analyst, Assistant