Date:      Sun, 24 Feb 2002 21:22:30 +0800 (Taipei Standard Time)
From:      "Maren S. Leizaola" <maren@leizaola.com>
To:        Rod Person <roddierod@yahoo.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SQUEEEZING the most bandwidth out of a 33.6 modem

On Sat, 23 Feb 2002, Rod Person wrote:

| Hi All,
|
| I have a US Robotics Sportster 33.6 external modem (it flashable to 56k).
| I was wondering if anyone had tips, trick or suggested reading on how to
 squeeze bandwidth out of this modem.

Rod,
    One of the things I use to do here in HK with the USR Couriers
V-Everything. I ordered a private wire back to my office. A private wire
is circuit that is not connected to the PSTN, it is used to extend phone
lines which are in another location back into a PBX.

    I would run the USR Couriers in leased line mode, so that as soon as
you power them up they hand shake. It was pretty stable. In raw data I
could get 90Kbit/s sustained (on HTML or files which would compress
heavily), don't expect to get these through puts as they were pretty much
lab conditions and sometimes I was able. In burst rates I could get
113Kbit/s. One thing to note is that these private wires have lower
latency here in Hong Kong than normal phone lines so data flowed faster.
I implemented several of these in some cases based on what two locations I
was connecting I would get circuits which had no loading or conditioning.
That means you could run digital Line Drivers and get 128Kbit/256Kbit
circuits on them and pay a rate of US$20/month for the circuit.

Anyway to answer you question here are some suggestions but are dependant
on you being able to control both sides of the link.

Upgrade it 56K and plug it into a PPP connection.  Make sure have TCP
header compression enabled on both sides. See what IPCP and othe protocols
you can use.

Another thing that you might want to try is stac compression or one of
those link compression protocols, I am not sure what features do the
current PPP implementations have.

Another thing you could do is use and SSH based VPN tunnel to tunnel the
traffic over the link and then go onto the net, this assumes that the
remote end is connected to the net and has a reasonable size pipe. SSH has
some pretty good compression and I suspect you will be able to get more
throughput than the other suggestions.

Good luck!
Regards,
Maren.