Date:      Mon, 02 Apr 2012 16:52:11 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Tim Daneliuk <tundra@tundraware.com>
Subject:   Re: fxp0 Link Going Up And Down

On 4/1/2012 4:21 PM, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
> I am seeing this intermittently:
>
> Apr  1 14:48:36 host kernel: fxp0: link state changed to DOWN
> Apr  1 14:52:27 host kernel: fxp0: link state changed to UP

There were some fixes to the fxp driver on ~ March 26th that fixed the
NIC bouncing up and down when it went into promisc mode. But those
bounces were very short lived (a few seconds to transition).  Your
up/down events are minutes.  Perhaps the cable modem is going into some
sort of "sleep mode" ? Or perhaps just a hardware issue.  If you can,
try and put a simple hub or switch between the cable modem and your NIC
and see if you still get bounces.

Also, there are many variants of fxp hardware.  Post the output of

 egrep -i "fxp|phy" /var/run/dmesg.boot

and

sysctl -a dev.fxp

	---Mike