Date:      Sun, 26 Jun 2011 15:19:14 +0100
From:      Chris Rees <crees@freebsd.org>
To:        Ed Schouten <ed@80386.nl>
Cc:        Kostik Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: State of FreeBSD/xbox

On 3 April 2011 22:11, Ed Schouten <ed@80386.nl> wrote:
> Hi Chris, Kostik,
>
> * Kostik Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>, 20110403 21:26:
>> On Sun, Apr 03, 2011 at 07:40:14PM +0100, Chris Rees wrote:
>> > In short-- FreeBSD/xbox is bitrotted (or so it appears!)
>
> Well, I did run FreeBSD HEAD on my Xbox only a couple of weeks ago and
> it worked properly. I remember jhb@ made some PCI changes some time ago
> that caused some breakage, but that got fixed as far as I know.
>
> So what kind of problems are you experiencing?
>
>> I wanted to remove XBOX for long time. With the introduction of Xen PV,
>> i386/machdep.c became too convoluted. On the other hand, if you can
>> bring it back to life, I definitely would not have an argument for removal.
>
> Sure. It was pretty awesome to see FreeBSD run on an Xbox, but nowadays
> you can even get Android phones having better specs. Say, if the Xbox
> code makes it hard to implement some kind of cool feature, I really
> wouldn't mind seeing it go, as long as it's left the way it is in the
> stable branches.

Hey Ed,

I've finally managed to dig the Xbox out; I was missing the video
cable, but I gave up trying to find it and ebayed another.

If you tried HEAD and it worked, I'm going to try that too; it may be
that something in the 8- branch broke (not sure how, but probably not
worth fixing if HEAD works OK).

It was panicking on boot apparently, though kdb doesn't appear to work
with the USB keyboard I was forced to use.

I'll let you know how I get on with HEAD,

Chris