Date:      Sun, 26 Mar 1995 21:13:06 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      mw@sax.sax.de (Martin Welk)
To:        current@freefall.cdrom.com
Cc:        mw@pandora.sax.de
Subject:   FreeBSD problems - VM bug?

Good Morning,

Joerg Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de> suggested to write my FreeBSD
problems to this list.

My configuration looks like this: a simple 386DX-40 based machine
with 387 coprocessor, 8 meg RAM, ET4000 VGA adapter (1 meg RAM),
Adaptec 1542B SCSI host adapter, 3 hard disks (Rodime 3259TS, 210
meg, Seagate ST41200N, about 1 gig, Maxtor, about 240 meg), Toshiba
XM3401B CD-ROM, Wangtek 5150ES tape streamer, two serial ports (one
with a 16550 FIFO chip), two parallel ports, game port, WD8013EBT
network adapter clone. I have also a second Ethernet adapter, an
original WD8003EB (got this as a present :-) ) but my problems
occured before inserting that thing so I think that's not the problem.

I used FreeBSD-1.1-Release until last week without problems,
including UUCP, network (local network, ftp, telnet, NFS) and now
I run into big problems...

Now I've installed FreeBSD-950210-SNAP and a newer kernel release
(dated on March, 23th) - Joerg was so friendly to build a new kernel
at his machine for me, because...

- Building a new kernel didn't work. Using the old kernel I got a
"cc1: got fatal signal 11" message while running ``make depend'' at
/usr/src/sys/compile/THEATRE.
With the newer kernel this works fine but when compiling the kernel
I get:    ../../kern/subr_prf.c: In function '*'
(where * has to be replaced by panic, uprintf, tprintf, ttyprintf,
log, addlog, printf, sprintf)
          too many arguments to function `__builtin_next_arg'

- I cannot use ``man'' - it says:
groff: troff: Resource deadlock avoided

- So I decided to try to compile groff/troff and so on and went to
/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/ngroff and said ``make'' - when compiling troff
it says: ``cc: Internal compiler error: program cpp got fatal signal
11'' and exits.

These are the facts - I don't know enough about the FreeBSD
internals, I'm more like an administrator and user of this fine
system (yes, and we also want to use FreeBSD in our company on a
machine running as a CD-ROM and file server).
That's why I use to ask Joerg when I have that kind of problems :-)

He has similar problems with one of his machines, an older
386SX-16-based one. His 486DX-33 EISA machine works very fine and
that's why we can't find a solution to this problem no.

Can anybody help me?

I don't get the FreeBSD-current mailing list, so please send a Cc to
me.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Greetings,

Martin