Date:      Sun, 7 Jan 1996 18:15:30 +0100
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        "Adam W. Dace" <thekind@netural.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Device Support / PCI Ethernet

On Jan 6,  5:18, "Adam W. Dace" wrote:
} Subject: Device Support / PCI Ethernet
} Hello all, due to a suggestion of a friend I'm currently wanting to test out
} FreeBSD in hopes of abondoning Linux on our servers here.  I love Linux
} to death, but it's networking is a bit uhm, hacked shall I say?  I've
} also heard with FreeBSD NFS is actually does quite well in the
} performance department, where Linux's is more of a joke than anything else..
}
} One thing disturbs me, however.  Lack of PCI Ethernet support.

Hmm, are you sure about that ?

There are a number of PCI Ethernet boards
supported for more than a year ...

} Both of our servers have 3c590 PCI 10Base-T cards in them, and my desktop
} machine at work is a SMC-WD DE435-based chipsed PCI card (I forget the
} actually manufacturer's product name).  Ala Linux it is:
}
} Oct 31 16:18:51 tanelorn kernel: eth0: DE435 at 0xd000 (PCI device 15),
} h/w address 00:00:c0:0a:03:c6,
} Oct 31 16:18:51 tanelorn kernel:       and requires IRQ5 (not probed).
} Oct 31 16:18:51 tanelorn kernel: de4x5.c:v0.241 4/18/95 davies@wanton.lkg.dec.co
}
} I saw on the www.freebsd.org archives that 3c590 support is in the
} FreeBSD-current source tree as of recently, by any chance is the DE435
} chipset supported as well?

The DE435 is based on the DEC 21040 chip, and
that driver is in -stable (in fact was in 1.1R
in late 1994).

} Also, is there any chance of actually running a -stable- server off of
} these "current" kernels?  Perhaps its possible to patch in drivers into
} the "release" kernel as I've done with Linux 1.2.13?

You can do this, but there are currently some
major changes in the way the /dev file system
is populated (will be done automatically by the
driver instead of creating char/block devices
by mknod/MAKEDEV).

You should be able to port the 3c590 driver
back to -stable with little effort, though.

You need the files

	/sys/pci/if_vx.c
	/sys/pci/if_vxreg.h

from -current and have to add the following
line to /sys/conf/files:

pci/if_vx.c             optional vx  device-driver

There could be slight differences in function
prototypes, but those are most likely benign
(i.e. a change from long to some other type
with the same number of bits on a 32 bit CPU).

Regards, STefan

--
 Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen		Tel:	+49 221 4706021
 Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln	FAX:	+49 221 4705160