Date:      Sun, 4 Mar 2001 10:34:49 -0600
From:      Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
To:        FreeBSD-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Version Numbering

What with all the version inflation going on in the Linux world, I have
an idea for FreeBSD.

Forget 4.3-STABLE. Skip to 4.4. And rather than calling it FreeBSD
4.4-STABLE, call it 4.4FreeBSD. That way, we can show off the roots of
FreeBSD and make it sound cool, too!

Or, we can stop people from asking, "Why is RedHat in version 7,
Mandrake almost in version 8, and FreeBSD only in 4?" (assuming RedHat
users even know what FreeBSD is). Just call the next release FreeBSD
10.3-STABLE or FreeBSD 2001-STABLE.

--
Andrew Hesford
ajh3@chmod.ath.cx