Date:      Mon, 28 Sep 1998 17:18:04 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: VM86 and APM

>>> apm0 not found.
>>>
>>> The kernel without VM86 used to detect the apm BIOS in my box all right.
>>
>>I think that you may have APM disabled in your CMOS setup?
>
>APM is enabled in the BIOS setup.  The kernel with APM_DEBUG defined
>gives:

>apm: BIOS probe failed: error 0x1  carry 1  bx 0x0
>apm0 not found
>imasks: bio c8000040, tty c30010ba, net c6000400
>SMP: enabled INTs: 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 10, 12, 16, apic_imen: 0x00feeb05
>
>Kazu

I printed the error code (ax register) from the APM BIOS call via VM86
during apm_probe(), I got:

apm: BIOS probe failed: error 0x1  carry 1  ax 0x8600 bx 0x0
apm0 not found

0x86 means "No APM BIOS", right?

Then I loaded a kernel without VM86 and it said:

apm0 not found

Oh, I thought it worked before!  It must have been my dream that the
apm driver had worked on this MB...

The motherboard has the Award BIOS, which does have power management
setup items, such as "Power Management" and "PM Control by APM" (I
natually have them both enabled).

May be the APM BIOS is deficient?

Kazu