Date:      Thu, 2 Nov 2000 16:36:30 -0600 (CST)
From:      Alex Charalabidis <alex@wnm.net>
To:        Buliwyf McGraw <buliwyf@libertad.univalle.edu.co>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DOS attack

On Thu, 2 Nov 2000, Buliwyf McGraw wrote:

>  Ok... here we go again ;)
>  I was researching about the last incidents on the machine with the
>  system load problem (possible attack) ...
>  I get this: the service which crash the server when the problem
>  starts is the famous "squid".
>  Normal days, the squid is running without problems and the load of
>  the server is 0.5 (average), the required cputime for the program
>  is 20%. Then the world is beatiful.
>  But, when we have a bad day... the squid need 90% 95% 100% cputime
>  and the load of the server jump until crash. The interrupts are too
>  big in these moments.
>  If i quit the network cable from the server... the load dissapear and
>  everything is rigth, but, if i put the network cable again... booom!!!
>
>  The problem isnt everyday, is just sometimes, somedays... few hours.

Make sure squid isn't eating up all your swap space. If you allocate it
too much memory, it'll start thrashing badly. Haven't seen it crash from
this but it sure makes everything slooow.

-ac

Alex Charalabidis (AC8139)            5050 Poplar Ave, Ste 170
System Administrator                         Memphis, TN 38157
WebNet Memphis                                  (901) 432 6000
Author, The Book of IRC              http://www.bookofirc.com/