Date:      Thu, 25 Mar 1999 18:03:51 +0100 (CET)
From:      Ferdinand Goldmann <ferdl@atommuell.oeh.uni-linz.ac.at>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Ordering 3.1 - The Saga begins

Hello.

I know that I am rather off-topic on this mailing list with my
complaint, but I just have to get this off my mind.

About 6 weeks ago, my friend and I ordered 6 FreeBSD 3.1 CD sets
and some other things from www.freebsdmall.com. However, until
today, we have not seen anything of our order.

About one week ago, I sent e-mail to orders@cdrom.com, as suggested
on this mailing list before (by Jordan Hubbard himself AFAIR).
The e-mail is still un-answered.

Last Saturday, we sent a fax to Walnut Creek, containing a description
of the problem and the content of the e-mail my friend received
from www.freebsdmall.com in response to the order.  The fax is
still un-answered as well.

So I have one simple question, and maybe someone on this list can
give me an answer. Why does Walnut Creek ignore this order? Is it
not worthy enough? Have the people at Walnut Creek mixed up Austria
with a country like Iraq, for which the US government has (very
questionable) export restrictions? Or are they just not interested
in selling FreeBSD to us? 2 of those 6 FreeBSD CD sets are intended
for people who are currently primarily Linux users.  They are
starting to ask me why they receive Linux CDs so much faster. This
is not nice. In fact, even my Sun Solaris 2.6 package arrived
faster. It would be good to see more FreeBSD people around at our
university, but if we can't even get some CDs to make advertisment
for it, this won't be easy.

I am starting to feel annoyed, so I just wanted to tell you about
this. FreeBSD is such a fine product in every other respect.  Again,
sorry for abusing the mailing list in this way. If you know a
solution (apart from calling them directly, which I have not done
yet), let me know please.

Regards,
Goldmann Ferdinand
(Ferdinand.Goldmann@oeh.uni-linz.ac.at)