Date:      Thu, 04 Nov 1999 14:56:48 -0700
From:      Robert Fleming <rfleming@cc.weber.edu>
To:        Michael Hughes <mhughes@logroad.bridge.com>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Compaq Proliant 6400R

Michael

I think this has a lot to do with the apic setting in the kernel and the
configuration of your bios.  I had to boot of the compaq cd/floppies and
change a couple setting to get it to work correctly.   Compaq has an option in
the NVRAM that handles the processor id on the bus and the apics differently
depending on what os that you specify.   I don't remember what combination
that I used to get it working.   I do know that a changed some setting in the
lint kernel for it and adjusted the bios to handle things different.   Be sure
that you turn on caching if you don't have a pentium pro system or at least be
sure that the kernel is recognizing all the ram correctly.  I had a problem
here to when I tried to get the kernel working a system with 1.0 gig of
memory.
    I hope this helps a little.  It's be a year or so since in worked on these
machines.
Rob